Some foods are best had without much twist and twirl as they themselves are full of action – pumpkin soup probably will rule the charts. Rich in flavor, texture, creaminess, taste and above all the fact that it is so filling that it’s a meal in itself make pumpkin probably the healthiest choice in soups after the quintessential tomato variant.
Ingredients: (yields 6 bowls of soup)
- 1 kg peeled pumpkin cubes
- 1 sliced onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Knorr veg stock 4 cubes in 700 ml water / Veg broth
- 200-300 ml water
- ½ cup cream or ½ cup milk (this is not for thickness as pumpkin already plays that role. This just adds a bit of richness to your soup; can also use butter if you like)
- In a pan with water, boil pumpkin, garlic, onion and vegetable broth together. Remember to peel the pumpkin before boiling. Bring this to a boil (around 15 minutes) and then let it simmer for 15 min more until pumpkin is tender. The secret to taste lies in onion, garlic and broth, while the texture is all courtesy pumpkin
- Let it cool down
- Blend with a blender for a smooth puree and depending on the consistency required, add water to it. You can give another boil
- Turn off the flame and add milk/cream and give a good mix. DO NOT boil the soup after adding cream as it will cause cream to split
- Add salt, pepper and oregano to it, per taste. Oregano really enhances the final flavours
- Serve hot in the bowl with a dash of cream on top and sprinkle a bit of oregano and parsley or finely chopped green part of spring onion & together with your crispy bread!
- You can also make curry pumpkin soup by adding curry powder to this soup, just like how you like at your fav soup store (ours is Cedele in Singapore!)