Tom Yum Soup is absolutely our latest favourite – super healthy, veggie-ful, superb flavours and lipsmackingly tasty!
Uptil now we have been making (and you would have seen earlier when we posted in our tom yum series) it as a clear soup, but this time we decided to make this vegetable-loaded soup (thanks to @Frankfoodcompany’s rainbow vegetable basket we added so many nutrient-rich veggies in it) with coconut milk. Another twist to it – we added zucchini noodles out of farm-fresh zucchini from @Frankfoodcompany – not only it turned out as a super yummy, flavourful and satisfying meal, we are still so full from our dinner last night that we have skipped our breakfast altogether!
It is vegan and if you prefer to add a bit of carbs in it, mix zucchini noodles with your whole-wheat noodles.
Here is how to make it:
- 3-4 finely chopped garlic
- 1-2 chopped red chili
- 1 tsp sliced ginger
- 3-4 kafir lime leaves
- 2 tbsp minced lemongrass (optional if your paste has enough)
- Veggies of choice – zucchini, cherry tomato, baby corn, capsicum, beans, asparagus
- 3-4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5-6 tbsp tom yum paste
- 1 zucchini noodles*
- Whole wheat noodles (optional)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- Salt per taste
- 6 cup water and 2 cubes of knorr veg stock – for veg stock broth
- Tofu – pan fried in triangle shape or firm tofu
- To the boiling veg stock broth, add garlic, red chili, ginger, kafir lime leaves, lemongrass and cook it on simmer.
- Add soy sauce, lime juice, sugar.
- Add veggies (thanks @frankfoodcompany for this freshness in our soup!) like cherry tomato, beans, baby corn, carrot, zucchini, capsicum, asparagus and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to it and then add tom yum paste and salt as per taste.
- Cook for 10 minutes and then add coconut milk and tofu. Let it simmer for 1-2 min.
- Add zucchini noodles and whole wheat noodles (optional, if you want to keep it super healthy only use zoodles!) in the soup and let it simmer for a min. Serve hot, garnished with a lemon wedge and additional red chili for people who like it hot!
*3 ways to make zucchini noodles:
- use a spiralizer to get the crunchy noodles out of zucchini
- use a normal box grater and slowly grate downwards along the length of zucchini from a height
- cut very thin slices (slightly thinner than julienne cut) using a knife