Caprese salad is a classic Italian salad made using classic Italian ingredients like fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and pine nuts(optional). It is a perfect refreshment for your hot summer day. We created skewers this time around out of these.
Great thing about caprese is it could be used as an appetiser or as a companion to your glass of wine or could be placed like a salad in an authentic way or as a sandwich.
It is a truly loved dish in our household by one and all. All you need is the following:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, in shape of a ball
- Basil leaves (a full box)
- 3-4 tbsp basil pesto sauce
- Olive oil
- 1 cup of Balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup of sugar/ brown sugar
- Black salt
- First, to prepare balsamic glaze, add balsamic vinegar and sugar/ brown sugar to a pan and heat it until the sugar starts melting and the mix is thickened
- Marinate basil leaves and cherry tomatoes in basil pesto sauce
- Now, prepare the skewers by assembling cherry tomatoes, basil leaves, fresh mozzarella balls (we cut the tomatoes in half and sandwiched the mozzarella well wrapped in basil leaves in the two halves)
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic glaze on these skewers
- Sprinkle some salt and black salt, as per taste and serve fresh