Quinoa is an essential ingredient these days in our salad – almost no carbs, no fats just adding lots of protein to our meal. We have been having many different types of quinoa salads, one such is coming from our dear friend Snigdha. The secret to this salad’s addictively yum taste is in its dressing made using the twist of orange juice in the classic vinaigrette dressing!
You got to try this salad now! Trust us, you will thank us later! 🙂
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa (can use mixed colour, or only red or only black), rinsed, drained
- A pinch of butter for cooking quinoa
- Olive oil
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 4cm length
- 1 large red capsicum, halved, seeded, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- ½ cup green olives
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1 tbsp roasted pine nuts (optional)
- 4 red onion, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh continental parsley
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika ground
- 1 tsp tabasco/green chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh or canned orange juice
- 100g baby rocket/spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine water and quinoa in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add a pinch of butter to make quinoa fluffy. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven on high. Bake the asparagus and capsicum for 5 minutes or until tender crisp with some olive oil.
- Add the asparagus, capsicum, feta, olives, pine nuts (if using), sunflower seed kernels, shallot and parsley to the quinoa.
- Whisk the lemon juice, orange juice, honey, vinegar, olive oil, green chilli/tabasco and paprika in a small bowl until well combined. Add the dressing and rocket/spinach to the quinoa mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Add a slice or two of avocado while serving. Chill for a bit and enjoy it!