Let’s go fusion today with Chilli Momos! No, they are not as spicy as the name suggests !
Momos (dumplings or dimsums as they are called popularly) are steamed dumplings with a filling of choice. We typically make vegetable filling with mushrooms and/or cottage cheese in it – the recipe of our steamed dumplings will be up shortly on the blog too. But you can make this fusion food with any kind of dumpling/momos that you have at home.
The two cuisine styles brought together are Indo-Chinese and Tibetan (momos) and believe us, you’d love these melt-in-mouth dumplings dunked in indo-chinese flavours! Don’t forget to jazz up with sesame seeds (as long as you are not allergic to it!). They are flavourful on their own and do not need any dips on the side.
Did you know you can even make other fusion variants of momos – Thai styled momos, Italian momos, Schezwan momos (yes, yes we will share these too soon, one at a time!). What other momo variants have you tried – share in the comments below?
- 2 tbsp olive oil/vegetable oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3-4 strands of spring onion, chopped with green separated
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup small diced capsicum (choose the colour you like, we put all three)
- 1 green chilli (avoid if you cannot take it very spicy)
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-1.5 tbsp chilli sauce / sriracha
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oregano to taste (that’s our secret taste enhancer)
- 1 cup water
- In a pan, heat the oil and sauté garlic in it until golden brown
- Add spring onion and onion and green chili and sauté well for 2-3 minutes
- Add capsicum and sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Now add sauces (vinegar, soy sauce, chili sauce) and seasoning (salt, pepper, oregano)
- Saute well for 1-2 minutes till it all mixes up well
- Add corn flour water (mix corn flour in water and stir well so no lumps remain) and stir continuously till it starts thickening
- Lower the flame and add 7-8 steamed momos in it and toss very gently so momos are immersed well in the gravy
- Serve your plate of chilli momos hot after garnishing with spring onion greens and roasted sesame seeds